Linksys is widely known for their reliable and user friendly networking hardware. They provide very good routers, adapters, extenders and more. Their routers offer good coverage, speed, connectivity and a lot more. While their routers are very good, there are some boundaries that no router can overcome. All the routers face issues while transmitting signals from different floors or thick concrete walls. There are always a few dead spots where the user just cannot find any Wi-Fi signals and due to this, the user has to go around their home searching for a decent Wi-Fi signal having to leave the comfort. This can be a lot irritating if the user is doing or wants to do some important work or business related work. This is where the Linksys extender comes in. The extender or repeater enhances the Wi-Fi signal from the router and provides the user with even better network coverage. The user can use www.extender.linksys.com to gain access to the extender’s admin login page to configure their extender.
A range extender is used to enhance or extend the coverage area of the wireless signal of the router that the user wishes to extend to eliminate the dead spots and experience an overall better coverage. The best place to install an extender is exactly in between the router and the client to experience a great overall experience. The Linksys repeater basically boosts the Wi-Fi signal from the router and forwards it further so that the coverage area expands exponentially. With the help of the Linksys repeater, the users can almost double their Wi-Fi coverage area so that they can use their wireless internet even in the farthest corners of their homes, backyard, other Wi-Fi enabled devices such as garage doors, electronic bells and more.
Here, we will help the users understand their extenders better by providing the detailed step by step configuration settings regarding the initial setup and login, reset process, change the password and to update the firmware of the Linksys extender.
Troubleshooting steps to setup and login to the Linksys extender:
- Plug in the Linksys extender to a power source and turn it on.
- Open the wireless connection manager from the computer and check for the available networks.
- Locate the Linksys Extender Setup open network and connect to it.
- Once the user has successfully connected to the network, open any internet browser and the user will be automatically taken to the Linksys extender page.
- The user can also manually type www.extender.linksys .com in the address bar and access the Linksys extender admin login page. Alternatively, the user can use the default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1 for most of the Linksys extenders.
- Now, the user will be on the Setup page for the extender.
- Now, the user will see the list of networks. Select the network that the user wishes to extend. Type in the password for the same router.
- The username and password can always be changed later.
- Click the Next option to proceed and save the changes made. Reboot the Linksys Extender and wait for it to finish the reboot.
- Once the Linksys Extender has finished rebooting, the user can place the extender anywhere between the router and the desired place.
The Linksys extender will have been setup and logged in by the user now. From here, the user can further configure the extender using www.extender.linksys.com.
Troubleshooting steps to reset the Linksys extender:
- The reset button is located either at the side or at the back of the extender within a very small hole.
- Press and hold the reset button for about ten seconds using a small pin. Release the button after ten seconds.
- After a few seconds, the extender will have been restored back to its factory default settings.
Once the Linksys extender has been reset, the personalized settings of the user on the extender will also get reset. This process cannot be reversed once the extender has been reset.
Do not remove the extender from the power source during the reset process as it can corrupt the extender.
Troubleshooting steps to reset the password for the Linksys extender:
- Open a web browser and type www.extender.linksys.com in the address bar to access the admin page for the extender. Alternatively, the user can type the default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 for most of the Linksys extenders.
- When prompted, enter the default password in the dialog box. If the user has previously set a personalized password, then the user needs to enter that.
- Click the Administration option on the web based interface. Then click the Management option.
- In the field provided, enter the new password for the extender. Re-enter the same password for confirmation.
- Click Save to implement the changes made.
From here on, the user will need to connect all their devices using the new password for their extender.
Do not share the password with everybody as it makes your network vulnerable to potential threats.
Make sure that the password strength is good.
Troubleshooting steps to update the firmware for the Linksys Extender:
- Download the latest firmware for the Linksys extender from the Linksys Support Site and save it to the desired location.
- Open a web browser and type www.extender.linksys.com in the address bar.
- Enter the login details in the admin login page for the extender.
- Click the Administration option.
- Under the Admin tab, the user will see the option Firmware Update.
- Select the same option and browse for the previously downloaded file and upload it.
- Click the Start Update option to begin the update.
Once the Extender has finished the update process, the extender will need to be rebooted. After that, the user can start using their extender as they desire.
Make sure that the user does not download the firmware from any third party websites as it can damage the firmware of the extender.
Make sure that the version of the firmware downloaded is the latest.